Established in 2015, Second Helpings, Stamford, aims to reduce food waste by using food gifted from local sources that would otherwise go to landfill. Our café, community fridge and “Bunker” are run by volunteers on a Pay-as-you-Feel basis, serving the needs of local people from all walks of life, regardless of the ability to pay.
Part of the national Real Junk Food Project, Second Helpings has grown rapidly, always focused on stopping society’s surplus food from going to waste. Our key objective: “Feed Bellies not Bins”. Our team of volunteers includes evening food collectors from local supermarkets, experienced cooks/chefs, kitchen assistants, front of house and Bunker team.
Having grown from a fledgling project to an increasingly major local not-for-profit organisation, Second Helpings is looking for a Head of Volunteers to join the Management Committee, adding to the operational strength of the project. Working closely with committee members and the operational teams, you will be responsible for all volunteer issues, from recruitment, induction and training, resource allocation, safeguarding and compliance, volunteer communication, minimising volunteer turnover through exceeding expectations and maintenance of a complete and fully GDPR compliant volunteer database.
In a role that is both hands-on and strategic, you will be a leader of people, a clear communicator, and have endless patience in ensuring the needs of the organisation are met whilst exceeding the expectations of volunteers – each of whom can have very different needs and motivations. Your enthusiasm for our objectives will be essential to your success in this key role.
Full information about Second Helpings, including our Constitution and Safeguarding Policy, is available from our website: www.secondhelpings.org.uk. We also recommend that you visit our Facebook page and pop in to the Bunker to gain a flavour of the organisation.
• Coordinate volunteer staff across all parts of Second Helpings
o Recruit volunteers, manage relationships between volunteers and team leaders, maintain organisational policies and procedures, and promote the organisation and its volunteers’ accomplishments.
• Assess organisational and programme needs to determine number and range of volunteers needed for particular aspects
• Consult with colleagues to review or create descriptions for all volunteer positions
• Manage volunteer recruitment by advertising available volunteer positions, interviewing candidates, and matching them with appropriate roles
• Manage induction of new volunteers and introduce to volunteer policies and procedures
• Monitor volunteers’ progress to ensure we have the right volunteers in the right roles, assessing their progress and satisfaction, and conducting performance evaluations or skills audits as required
• Cultivate a positive and supportive atmosphere by recognising volunteer efforts and assisting volunteers with their endeavours
• Manage communication among volunteers and with the organisation in order to share news, progress, and available positions with support from the relevant committee members and other key volunteers
• Maintain a GDPR compliant database of volunteers
• Present updates to colleagues in writing and report at monthly Management Committee
• Promote the organisation, its volunteers’ efforts and accomplishments internally and externally
• Lead, in conjunction with Stamford Methodist Church, in the safeguarding of volunteers.
• Report to and liaise with Stamford Methodist Church as required.
• Proficient written and Verbal Communication
• Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to support, inspire and lead a diverse group of passionate volunteers.
• Ability to represent the needs of the volunteers within the committee and work collaboratively with the management teams to get the best from our volunteers across the project
• Willingness to commit to a challenging but fulfilling role. Estimated time commitment is approximately 5 hours a week plus monthly Management Committee meeting lasting up to 1 hour.
Informal Enquiries/Further Information
Contact Audrey Hensman (Chair, Management Committee) email@example.com or 07951 777 237
Please email a brief CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants will be invited to an interview with one of the volunteers. Second interviews for shortlisted candidates will Be by arrangement with each successful candidate.